“It is not enough to be busy. So are the ants. The question is: What are we busy about?”
– Henry David Thoreau
High five your team, yourself, your clients. You just rocked another corporate event!
How? When planning corporate events, identifying all the objectives that need to be achieved is your number one priority. This is where your top-notch listening and communication skills are vital to the process, not only to pinpoint each and every objective your client wants accomplished, but also to gather all the relevant detail pertaining to each objective. And, although counter-intuitive, by focusing on the overall end goal first, you’ll be able to grasp the big picture. Thereafter, all the important details flow through your carefully organized To Do list.
Let’s look at what you need to do to create clear objectives and let your event become a cohesive, continuous success story.
1. It’s the End of the Event as We Know It
As mentioned above, when planning a corporate event, begin with the end in mind. Communicate with your client directly to hash out answers to the following questions.
- What takeaway would you like your employees to have at the end of the event? Fun events that created better understanding and cameraderie? Group exercises that improved collaboration and communication skills? Small group activities that enhanced team work? Or, interactive programs that increased productivity and work ethic?
- As the team leader, what would you like to take away from the meeting? A stronger sense of communication with your team? A delegation of responsibilities now that new training has occurred? Are you using the event as a reward, team-builder or learning opportunity for your team?
Don’t forget to ask yourself a similar question, as you too can learn from each of the corporate events you plan and oversee.
- What do you hope to gain from planning and managing this event? A new contact? An opportunity to express your creativity? The satisfaction of a job well done?
By focusing on the end goal first and foremost, your corporate events objectives will naturally fall into place.
2. Listen Up
Epictetus said: “We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. Active listening is a valuable and highly useful skill. As the event coordinator, your first job is to listen to the objectives laid forth by your client. Really listen. You’re designing an event based on their needs, ideas, and feelings. As a result understanding their needs is key to:
- Fulfilling your job as an event organizer
- Achieving their objectives.
So, if you want to bring their objectives to life, listen up!
3. Worker Ants
Work smarter, not harder. While not nearly as elegant as the aforementioned Thoreau quote, this phrase sums up the importance of setting clear objectives for corporate events. Knowing the objectives clients want to achieve allow corporate events planners to stay organized and focused during the entirety of the planning process. From the initial meeting to the follow-up correspondence to the myriad of specifics in between, clear objectives allow for a smart, successful event. Clear objectives sharpen the focus of events coordinators and allow them to see both the big picture and the fine details.
4. Principal’s List Pro
The soul sister of setting clear objectives is the almighty To Do list. They’re like peanut butter and jelly. Tortellini and Ragu. Chocolate and… you get the idea. If you haven’t already, learn the basics of Excel. This handy software can transform your To Do lists into a corporate events planner’s greatest weapon. For optimal orderliness, create columns for the following:
- The task itself
- The grouping that the task belongs to (i.e. food prep, décor, basic planning, consulting, etc.)
- The date the task needs to be completed by
- The individual delegated to complete the task
Using the Filter key, you can rearrange your list as needed in the blink of an eye.
Whether it’s food prep, décor, basic planning, or consulting with clients, carefully keeping objectives tied to your To Do list will result in seamless corporate events.
As a premier events venue Moffitt Oaks has the facilities, the event coordinators, and the expertise to accommodate most of your corporate events in Houston.
Just 45 minutes from Houston, we offer all the amenities needed to have a successful corporate event. For more information, please contact us at 1.281.370.6616 or schedule a private tour with our expert event coordinators.