Choosing wedding songs for your first dance and wedding comes easy to most in modern times. Did you know that the first dance dates back to ancient times, when a man took his bride by hunting her down and kidnapping her? After a successful capture, the groom paraded her around the fire in front of his family and clan. This was a common wedding ritual and had to occur before the celebration and partying could begin. In some instances, brides were purchased then paraded and f the marriage was arranged, the first dance always it was always celebrated with ceremonial first dances.
Thank goodness marital relationships have evolved over time and are for the most part consensual relationships. With beautiful global influences, some societies declare the first dance to be a more ritualized first dance; in others, it’s simply more of a visual representation of the exchange of wedding vows and a romantic connection between the new couple. Regardless of a couple’s culture, ethnicity, religion or gender, the first dance is usually one of the first events at post-ceremony receptions.
Whether you wish for your new life together to start with a traditional romantic waltz, a rocked-out jitterbug, or a good old fashioned country two-step, your first dance should not be overlooked as something that “just happens.” For many couples, a giant dose of courage is needed for this dance, as it can be intimidating to think of all eyes being on you. Preparation and practice is definitely necessary. Today, many couples take dance lessons before executing their first wedding dance at their wedding reception. First dances also include bride/father dances as well as mother/groom dances. In all reality, the sky is the limit!
What should you consider prior to choosing a first dance song?
- What are your expectations for your first dance?
- What type of music do you like?
- Are you more comfortable dancing to a certain genre of music?
- Is there a song that is meaningful to your relationship?
- Are there any ceremonial songs that would honor your family or heritage?
Now that you’ve considered and decided upon your expectations of your first dance as a married couple, it’s time to have some fun! Below are a few Top 10 First Dance Songs and lists from various sites.
Top 10 Wedding Songs for First Dances via Wedding DJ
List provided by Wedj.com
- All Of Me – John Legend
- Wonderful Tonight – Eric Clapton
- The Way You Look Tonight – Frank Sinatra
- At Last – Etta James
- Marry Me – Train
- Marry You – Bruno Mars
- What a Wonderful World – Louis Armstrong
- Can’t Help Falling In Love – Elvis Presley & the Jordanaires
- I’m Yours – Jason Mraz
- A Thousand Years – Christina Perri
- God Gave me You – Blake Shelton
Top 10 Wedding Songs: Country from Taste of Country
List from Taste of Country
- Bless the Broken Road – Rascal Flats
- Then – Brad Paisley
- It’s Your Love – Tim McGraw & Faith Hill
- Amazed – Lonestar
- Making Memories of Us – Keith Urban
- I Don’t Dance – Lee Brice
- Could I Have this Dance – Anne Murray
- I Swear – John Michael Montgomery
- I Cross My Heart – George Strait
- I’ll Still Be Loving You – Restless Heart
Top 10 Wedding Songs – Pop Sugar
List from Pop Sugar
- Salted Wound – Sia
- Lucky – Jason Mraz & Colbie Caillat
- Here, There & Everywhere – The Beatles
- Love & Happiness – Al Green
- Young & Beautiful – Lana Del Rey
- Lovesong – Amy Winehouse
- Simplest Love – Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zones
- PrimeTime – Janelle Monáe ft Miguel
- How Long Will I Love You – Ellie Goulding
Top 10Wedding Songs for First Dances from BuzzFeed
List provided by BuzzFeed
- Over the Rainbow – Judy Garland
- It’s You – Michelle Branch
- Ho Hey – The Lumineers
- Baby I’m Yours – The Arctic Monkeys
- Diary – Alicia Keys
- Grow Old With You – Adam Sandler
- Steppin’ Out – Kaskade
- Brighter than Sunshine – Aqualung
- Wonderful Tonight – Eric Clapton
- Singin’ in the Rain – Gene Kelly
Moffit Oaks Honorable Mention Wedding Songs
- Faithfully – Journey
- Danny’s Song – Loggins & Messina
- When A Man Loves a Woman – Percy Sledge
Do you notice a song missing from this list? If so, let us know!